Post new topic   Reply to topic    Order of the Forsaken Forum Index -> Character Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiburion (wowstead)

re: Before the Mirror was Cracked

Pi? Nope. There exists in nature a perfect ratio, and it is known in real life. It is one of those non-terminating, non-repeating decimals. Starts out as 1.618. A little research into it will reveal why it is called "The Golden Ratio".

Malesse (wowstead)

scientific descriptions of magic hurt my simple warrior brain! mal smash! eheheh mathematics of portals .. i wonder if it uses pi? more likely it uses cakes i bet

Jenasis (wowstead)

I only needed one part of my seat when I read this...The Edge. *Cheers*

Tiburion (wowstead)

The evening breeze blew over the water, cooling it a little. A young man dressed in well-fitted and worn travelers' clothes reached into his pack. A look of intense concentration came over his face as he unrolled scroll after scroll, carefully re-checking the innumerable calculations that had made this moment possible. Yes, it was time. Magi the world over study their craft in great depth, but he would attempt something that had never been done. The mathematics involved in conjuring a portal are no great secret to magi...but the space between portals had not, to his knowledge, ever been explored. Rough farmer's hands tapped his chin, as his prodigious mind began to review what he knew of portal magic, namely that the practitioner would tap the lower astral to open a gate where it's vastness touched Azeroth in the prime material, allowing the mage and any companions relatively safe access to remote places on Azeroth. In his studies, he often wondered about what other effects could be brought about by penetrating the astral plane even deeper than was required for such simple magics. After months of intricate calculation, he felt ready. He began the simple incantation to open a portal to Stormwind...but by using a very different reagent than usual, and altering the incantation to redirect the energies from the portion of the astral that borders the world to the deepest hidden corners of the upper astral, he hoped to create a one-way gate to truly unexplored territory. All went according to his calculations. The sound of ripping cloth accompanied a slight charring of the grass at his feet, and the world in front of him folded apart like a curtain revealing the next act to take center stage. He smirked, and turned to retrieve his pack that contained the magical tools and mapping equipment he though he might need, but he forgot one thing...always remain focused on any experimental spells. His eyes widened a bit as his calculating mind yelled at him for this critical mistake. A normal portal functions like a tunnel. The "walls" of the tunnel keep out certain effects. What he had done was to create a hole to a place with no material density of any kind...he had created a small vaccum zone directly in front of his small portal. As the young man struggled to keep his footing on the slippery grass and to grab his pack, the vaccum continued pulling him out of reach of the equipment he would need to navigate and survive his intended destination. Ever the calculator, he realized almost too late that he could not both bring the gear and seal the portal. He had only one option, and barely managed to fold the curtains closed before the play got out of control, sealing himself in the deepest corners of the astral plane until he could find a way out. He found himself floating above a landscape of indistinct, shadowy forms, some resembling places he knew in the prime material, but always shifting slightly. There was no "form" in this place. After a time, he learned that movement in this place involved simply thinking of himself, and wishing to be "closer" to something he found interesting, after which he did not float nor fly, but was simply "there". After learning to move about, he began the long search for a way to return to the prime material, and to his home. It would take him years, and when he finally succeeded, he would be a young man no longer. ((I will likely be editing this every couple of days until the stop date for entries arrives. I think it could use more adjectives, and I will let my brain stew on it for a while.))

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Order of the Forsaken Forum Index -> Character Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: