Post new topic   Reply to topic    Order of the Forsaken Forum Index -> Character Profiles / Intros
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiburion

re: Re: Into the Cracked Mirror: Of Madness and Magic

((It occurrs to me that the use of different writing styles might better reflect [char]Tiburion[/char]'s character. Therefore, enjoy the following version. This one is told from the perspective of a character who knew [char]Tiburion[/char] a long time ago. Yes, he still exists in-game, and is yet another float in my endless alt parade.))

Chapter 1: A Gifted Child Becomes A Magus

[char]Tiburion[/char] Ashbane was born to a happy family in Northshire. There were many more houses around in those days, and life was good for the simple farming folk. Nothing more exciting than the occasional Stormwind military drills took place, and the seasonal visits of the fairs known to travel Azeroth.
  As [char]Tiburion[/char] grew, it became apparent that he possesed a towering intellect. He aided travelling tinkers with their difficult calculations, even though he had never had formal schooling. That had always amazed me about my old friend - he learned everything he knew from books. As he grew, his amazing gifts began to alienate him from the other children. Especially when the young man reached that certain age, and odd things began happening. Books he had thought lost would simply "be there" when he looked for them. Fires would grow dim as he entered a room, small objects seemed to move with no one touching them, and a preternatural cold seemed to follow him everywhere.
  Once, as happens on rare occasions everywhere, a stranger came to Northshire. The townspeople - even the animals - avoided this man for reasons they could not quite understand. They simply knew there was a sense of "wrong" about him. [char]Tiburion[/char]'s family, kind souls that they were, gave him a place to stay for the night. The man was grateful, and though they would not accept his gold (He was no vagrant - and the cut of his clothes marked him as very wealthy.), he seemed oddly interested in their son.
  As may have occurred to my astute readers, this man was a magus of no small power. He showed [char]Tiburion[/char] his first cantrip that night - to chill a glass of wine (A simple trick that any apprentice can perform, but it was a test the man was giving, not a lesson.) and was astounded that the wine actually froze in the glass! I need not point out that the dark stranger was quite intrigued by the young man, and wished to take him on as an apprentice. [char]Tiburion[/char]'s family reluctantly agreed after much persuasion (I have grown to suspect magic was involved as well.) from the mysterious man, and our protagonist's story took a darker turn.
  The man was no ordinary mage - he was a necromancer. It must come as no surprise to you that the animals and even many people avoided him. You see, the air of death about him made it exceedingly difficult for him to do any sort of work amongst the living, and that was why he needed an apprentice. The things [char]Tiburion[/char] did for this man included grave-robbing, kidnapping, and a small assortment of other minor crimes. The darkness never took hold of [char]Tiburion[/char]'s soul, however. This was not his destiny - to serve this evil man. No, his story still had not really begun.
  [char]Tiburion[/char] finally had enough of the man's evil. One day while out on an "errand" to trick a young woman named Milena into following him back to his master (The necromancer was fond of expirements.), [char]Tiburion[/char] recognized this woman as one of his old tormentors from his childhood. This triggered an attack of his long-dead conscience, and he let he woman go. [char]Tiburion[/char] never returned to his master, but wandered the isolated and frozen lands of the Dwarves for many years, never once meeting a living soul with the exception of yours truly. I met him as part of a scouting mission towards Gnomeregan, but at his request, told no others of his presence in the area. (The growth of our friendship is another tale entirely, and so I return you to this chronicle.) In that time, his power grew. Our protagonist had a strong affinity for the cold, even to the point of channeling it as magical energy. But destiny will not be denied for long, as many of us know. [char]Tiburion[/char] would soon meet a woman seeking to find peace in what had become a war-torn world in his absence. She was to become his first real friend. Her name was Aerana Dantay, Empress of the newly formed Twilight Empire.
  This woman was a mage as well, though her gifts were honed in different ways. The two quickly became friends, and it was not long before [char]Tiburion[/char] took an oath to serve in her Empire as a soldier. His mathmetical mind and skill with ice and frost was a boon to the Empress's efforts in bringing peace to Azeroth, and her kind and gentle spirit was a balm to his tainted soul. There was one bad habit [char]Tiburion[/char] had learned from his master, though. He liked to expirement with his magics, and when this man learned his first teleportation spell, he could not resist. He created a cascading effect in the planar matrix the magics used, and was trapped wandering the tri-layered astral plane for a very long time. He was once more cut off from the world.
  It took him some time to navigate the ever-shifting chaos of that place, but he learned to do so. He even met some of the native beings there and became a sort of planar traveller, although limited to the astral. After a time, [char]Tiburion[/char] even managed to contact a living being in the prime material! It was human rogue named Delmorek. This man was now his way back to his beloved Empire. [char]Tiburion[/char] used his astral contacts to arrange a rather large payment to Delmorek in exchange for the delivery of several letters to and from the Empire. The first was received by an individual named Matasuntha, who had never heard of him (It had been a very long time, there were many new faces in the Empire.), but was nonetheless instrumental in aiding [char]Tiburion[/char]'s return to the Prime Material. Our hero stepped out of a rift soon after that, and had to spend some time getting used to a physical body again. He was however, pleased to have returned.
   After he felt ready, our protagonist contacted the current leadership (The Senate - read on for the reason for this) of the Twilight Empire, for Aerana had long since left to aid the Kirin Tor with some secret work. It seemed that a human priest named Reesee (who holds the rank of Senator to this day) was running things now, and so our [char]Tiburion[/char] contacted her to be re-admitted into the military arm of the Empire. It was soon thereafter that the man long gone from his beloved Empire donned the tabard and once more assumed the rank of Soldier.
  [char]Tiburion[/char] Ashbane - living relic of Twilight Empire's past, had returned.
Tiburion

((It occurrs to me that the use of different writing styles might better reflect [char]Tiburion[/char]'s character. Therefore, enjoy the following version. This one is told from the perspective of a character who knew [char]Tiburion[/char] a long time ago. Yes, he still exists in-game, and is yet another float in my endless alt parade.))

Chapter 1: A Gifted Child Becomes A Magus

[char]Tiburion[/char] Ashbane was born to a happy family in Northshire. There were many more houses around in those days, and life was good for the simple farming folk. Nothing more exciting than the occasional Stormwind military drills took place, and the seasonal visits of the fairs known to travel Azeroth.
  As [char]Tiburion[/char] grew, it became apparent that he possesed a towering intellect. He aided travelling tinkers with their difficult calculations, even though he had never had formal schooling. That had always amazed me about my old friend - he learned everything he knew from books. As he grew, his amazing gifts began to alienate him from the other children. Especially when the young man reached that certain age, and odd things began happening. Books he had thought lost would simply "be there" when he looked for them. Fires would grow dim as he entered a room, small objects seemed to move with no one touching them, and a preternatural cold seemed to follow him everywhere.
  Once, as happens on rare occasions everywhere, a stranger came to Northshire. The townspeople - even the animals - avoided this man for reasons they could not quite understand. They simply knew there was a sense of "wrong" about him. [char]Tiburion[/char]'s family, kind souls that they were, gave him a place to stay for the night. The man was grateful, and though they would not accept his gold (He was no vagrant - and the cut of his clothes marked him as very wealthy.), he seemed oddly interested in their son.
  As may have occurred to my astute readers, this man was a magus of no small power. He showed [char]Tiburion[/char] his first cantrip that night - to chill a glass of wine (A simple trick that any apprentice can perform, but it was a test the man was giving, not a lesson.) and was astounded that the wine actually froze in the glass! I need not point out that the dark stranger was quite intrigued by the young man, and wished to take him on as an apprentice. [char]Tiburion[/char]'s family reluctantly agreed after much persuasion (I have grown to suspect magic was involved as well.) from the mysterious man, and our protagonist's story took a darker turn.
  The man was no ordinary mage - he was a necromancer. It must come as no surprise to you that the animals and even many people avoided him. You see, the air of death about him made it exceedingly difficult for him to do any sort of work amongst the living, and that was why he needed an apprentice. The things [char]Tiburion[/char] did for this man included grave-robbing, kidnapping, and a small assortment of other minor crimes. The darkness never took hold of [char]Tiburion[/char]'s soul, however. This was not his destiny - to serve this evil man. No, his story still had not really begun.
  [char]Tiburion[/char] finally had enough of the man's evil. One day while out on an "errand" to trick a young woman named Milena into following him back to his master (The necromancer was fond of expirements.), [char]Tiburion[/char] recognized this woman as one of his old tormentors from his childhood. This triggered an attack of his long-dead conscience, and he let he woman go. [char]Tiburion[/char] never returned to his master, but wandered the isolated and frozen lands of the Dwarves for many years, never once meeting a living soul with the exception of yours truly. I met him as part of a scouting mission towards Gnomeregan, but at his request, told no others of his presence in the area. (The growth of our friendship is another tale entirely, and so I return you to this chronicle.) In that time, his power grew. Our protagonist had a strong affinity for the cold, even to the point of channeling it as magical energy. But destiny will not be denied for long, as many of us know. [char]Tiburion[/char] would soon meet a woman seeking to find peace in what had become a war-torn world in his absence. She was to become his first real friend. Her name was Aerana Dantay, Empress of the newly formed Twilight Empire.
  This woman was a mage as well, though her gifts were honed in different ways. The two quickly became friends, and it was not long before [char]Tiburion[/char] took an oath to serve in her Empire as a soldier. His mathmetical mind and skill with ice and frost was a boon to the Empress's efforts in bringing peace to Azeroth, and her kind and gentle spirit was a balm to his tainted soul. There was one bad habit [char]Tiburion[/char] had learned from his master, though. He liked to expirement with his magics, and when this man learned his first teleportation spell, he could not resist. He created a cascading effect in the planar matrix the magics used, and was trapped wandering the tri-layered astral plane for a very long time. He was once more cut off from the world.
  It took him some time to navigate the ever-shifting chaos of that place, but he learned to do so. He even met some of the native beings there and became a sort of planar traveller, although limited to the astral. After a time, [char]Tiburion[/char] even managed to contact a living being in the prime material! It was human rogue named Delmorek. This man was now his way back to his beloved Empire. [char]Tiburion[/char] used his astral contacts to arrange a rather large payment to Delmorek in exchange for the delivery of several letters to and from the Empire. The first was received by an individual named Matasuntha, who had never heard of him (It had been a very long time, there were many new faces in the Empire.), but was nonetheless instrumental in aiding [char]Tiburion[/char]'s return to the Prime Material. Our hero stepped out of a rift soon after that, and had to spend some time getting used to a physical body again. He was however, pleased to have returned.
   After he felt ready, our protagonist contacted the current leadership (The Senate - read on for the reason for this) of the Twilight Empire, for Aerana had long since left to aid the Kirin Tor with some secret work. It seemed that a human priest named Reesee (who holds the rank of Senator to this day) was running things now, and so our [char]Tiburion[/char] contacted her to be re-admitted into the military arm of the Empire. It was soon thereafter that the man long gone from his beloved Empire donned the tabard and once more assumed the rank of Soldier.
  [char]Tiburion[/char] Ashbane - living relic of Twilight Empire's past, had returned.
WoWStead

Chapter Two: The Shadow Resisted!

When the yong man came upon the place he'd once called home,
He looked about with frozen heart at those who thought he'd gone.
He grinned an icy grin indeed, and stole into the night,
To seek the girl he'd come to find, but then she caught his sight.

"It is her!", the young man's frozen heart did speak.
"That is she who who played with one the others thought a freak!"
And there upon the voices barely whispering in the dark,
His icy heart did hear their call, and saw the chapel's mark.

He knew right then that he would never more go back,
To the place his master lived and worked, and so he grabbed his pack
And stole away into the night, and walked toward the snows,
Of the lands of Dwarves, and ale, and Gnomes. A place called Kharanos.

He spent much time in the winds and snow...a place as cold as he,
Hoping to find what once was lost. His soul he longed to see.
But such sins as were his to bear do not so quickly leave,
It took another's kind, pure heart to pull him from his grief.

Her name is known to you, my friends, an enemy indeed.
But that is for another time, when the muses plant more seeds.
For now, it must suffice to say, she taught the man quite well.
A friendship that evolved to trust, and he hoped it would be love.

An Empire, this woman sought to build. Her vision of the world
She shared with him, and he did see the tapestry unfurl.
A shining jewel in the dark of war, she showed to him that day,
He swore he'd serve, by spell or steel, the one you call Dantay.

Our man loved her, but you see, this could not come to pass
That she might love him too, but still, his oath he would outlast.
For one day, after he had learned to walk the astral plane,
The space between the here and there, he would be lost again.

He stepped into his very first door from here to there,
And was lost for quite the longest time, his heart once more despaired.
His love, and his Empire, were lost to him in that place.
He became a traveller once more, a credit to his race.

It would not be forever that he walked among the shades,
He learned to move, and fight, and speak, and sought his homeland's glades.
But when he found his way home, finally and at last,
He saw his love had left, and the Empire he knew was past.

The ones he found did not recall him clearly in their minds,
For much time had passed, and enemies were on the rise.
It was the shadows in the dark he sought to learn about,
But his warnings went unheeded, he simply lacked the clout.

In the time he had been gone, the Empire fought a war.
He cursed that he had failed his vow, and sought to help once more.
He went to the cursed ground, the place called Tirisfal
To find something that would make them see, he had to show them all.

But fate it seems is sly indeed. Its patience is very long.
The shadow chose him long ago, for it saw that he was strong.
He felt the gaze of death upon him, cold and eerie there
He was caught, you see, and much was done that caused him to despair.

From the darkest shadow itself, a toxin was distilled.
To stop the man who sought to know - he had to soon be killed.
But to kill him was not in itself enough for these to do.
They sought to make him more like them...his living days were through.

((This concludes chapter 2. Stay tuned for chapter 3!))
Tiburion (wowstead)

re: Into the Cracked Mirror: Of Madness and Magic

Name:
Tiburion Ashbane
Nickname:
"Madman", "Lunatic", or "Tibbers" (he *loathes* this last one)
Class:
Mage
Physical Appearance:
Catastrophically burned - most of his body was reduced to charcoal
Ideology:
Who can say? What the poison did not destroy of his sanity, being burned alive by a trusted friend did.
Brief History:
(See below)
Miscellaneous:

• Was driven utterly insane
  • Loved Aerana Dantay (Yes, *that* Aerana.), but gave up the knowledge of her identity as his sacrificed memory
  • Is very protective of his water elemental "Puddles"
  • Is a limitless supply of biscuits and cinnamon rolls
  • Regularly speaks to thin air, but only characters with the IC ability to detect ghosts can tell if he is really talking to them, or is just hearing voices again
  • Reads the etheric record for information on whatever random topic he is thinking about at a given moment

What follows, my friends is the life story of Tiburion Ashbane. Once a happy child, once a necromancer's apprentice, once a kind and grandfatherly wizard to Twilight Empire, and finally a madman wielding potent magics - made more so by his very madness. But I wonder...is this the final chapter in his life? Or will there be more to come?

Long ago by count of men in Northshire's grassy hills,
A boy was born to farming folk and lived to plow the fields.
But farming was not in this one's stars,
So it would come to be,
There'd be ice and shadow upon his soul by the age of ten and three. 

The life he led in the quiet town was rather dull indeed.
For a boy of mighty intellect, it seemed he'd never leave.
But when the north winds came for him upon that fateful morn,
His mage's soul cried out: "I'm here!"
And a wizard had been born. 

Life changed indeed, and rather fast. The boy was never still.
He saw his footsteps trailing cold and fires growing chill.
When he grew angry, hurt, or sad
The room would fill with frost.
His parents knew not what to do, they feared his soul was lost. 

But once upon a fateful day, as many stories go,
A stranger came to town and saw the boy he'd come to know.
The Ashbane clan did give him shelter inside from the rain.
The townsmen would not speak nor listen,
They knew only he'd bring pain. 

In shadows dark in the rotting barn, the man did give a test,
He offered wine to the young one, to divide him from the rest.
The boy's hands touched the crystal glass,
And the wine quite quickly froze.
The stranger spoke "My boy, you are no kin to those" 

"Who live among you in this place. Now come with me!
I'll teach of shadows dark, and magic strong. My apprentice you will be."
Tiburion heard the man's words,
Slipping from his forked tongue.
The shadows hold much sway to tempt a mind that's rather young. 

The next evening he stepped out to set upon the path
Where even demons dare not go lest gods send forth their wrath.
The boy did ask two things of this stranger come by night,
"What is thy name, sir?" and "Where do we go?"
The stranger answered in order asked: "I am called Mailleaux." 

"As for this road you walk upon, it leads us to my home."
"A place of magic, dark, and blood, and the souls of those long gone."
"I am a mage of sorts, you see - and I know that you are too."
"Now I will teach you many things, of magics dark and light"
"Know that neither alone can see, and yet each one is blind." 

The boy heard his master's words, and his lessons soon began.
He did many things in this dark place, and one day would again.
 As the years passed from one to next, he grew to hate his master.
His heart you see, was not of evil - or even of the dark.
For one task he was set upon sent him home...to Northshire's farms.

((More to follow as soon as the muses speak again))

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Order of the Forsaken Forum Index -> Character Profiles / Intros All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: